COMPOSITION - LAUNDRY

 COMPOSITION and THOUGHTS on hooking a laundry scene!
This morning I received an email from a student asking me if the above photo (that she loves ) would be a good subject for her 3rd hooked piece to do this summer while  up in northern Newfoundland . . . . .
 It is a good question and I thought I might share my thoughts for her  here on the blog as composition is  probably the main answer as to whether it would be possible to hook it!
Well yes anything is possible to hook . . .why not?

First of all ,I think for a rather new rug hooker -it is a difficult-but not impossible -project.

Then -I would think of how transferred into wool . . .could I do justice to the photograph?

Why not just blow it up and frame the photograph?!!!
It would convey  exactly what she likes framed and hung on the wall!
Of course I say this because for me personally. . .. . it is not . . .
 (I stress -again-for ME )
-the subject for a  FLOOR RUG-
which is what my own hooking is about (most of the time!)

Therefore, how would I make this above photograph into a hooked piece?

First of all I would change the COMPOSITION to make it more interesting!
Maybe that is a personal choice-but the thought of hooking  the house and garage  looks very boring to me . . .long and straight lined hooked . . . .The LAUNDRY LINE is the Queen Bee of this photograph and the subject matter . . .and the Story . . . .
so, I would play around with different choices of COMPOSITION . . . .to see  what felt the best choice to express what I liked about this photo . . .a few  examples follow  above and below . . . .

FINAL choice for the COMPOSITION that is pleasing - to my eye -would be the result to the right-without the box on corner of house!
The House and Garage are now more of a FRAME  for the main STORY in my COMPOSITIION . . .The LAUNDRY. . . . .
I could get texture and movement in the grasses blowing in the wind  . . . .the large leaves would breakup the straight line of the field . . .and bring contrast of green colour into the scene. . . 
the House and Garage lines would frame the piece . . .

The HORIZON Line-ooops   .. its not straight?I guess thats easy to fix . . .

Water could  be flat textures . . .
and the LAUNDRY?
How to hook that if the rest of the rug is in a No. 8 cut?
Either change to a #3 to get the realism of the clothing? or just hook an impression with colour as I would if painting the laundry with a large brush . . . 

Would I still want to hook it?if it was only the 3rd  piece I hooked?
I don't know . . . .
I myself , still think it would be better as  a photograph I could enjoy hanging framed on my wall !!
. . . but . . .. 
maybe my student would like it better hooked and hanging on the wall . . .thats for her to decide if she could manage the task!

Comments